THE BEE – SENTINEL OF THE ENVIRONMENT AND GUARDIAN OF FUTURE GENERATIONS
FOR THE SECOND YEAR IN A ROW, GUERLAIN IS RUNNING A MAJOR INTERNATIONAL CAMPAIGN FOR BEE PROTECTION
FROM 20TH TO 22ND MAY
Its goal remains the same: to gather €1 million within three days to strengthen its “Guerlain for Bees Conservation Programme”. So many natural treasures and resources depend on the skilful handiwork of bees. For the House of Guerlain, making a commitment towards their protection means endeavouring to pass on the wonders of Nature to future generations, while safeguarding their future.
IMAGINE A WORLD WITHOUT BEES
IMAGINE IF THERE WERE NO MORE SWEET BUZZING FROM THOSE SOMETIMES CALLED “SENTINELS OF THE ENVIRONMENT”.
If bees were no longer to exist, most fruits, flowers and seeds would disappear forever, taking with them an infinite number of irreplaceable colours, flavours and smells.
Across the world, intensive farming, vanishing habitats, climate change and so forth are drastically impacting the health of bees, both wild and domestic.
As exceptional pollinators, bees are “essential to our food safety, nutrition and environment”.
It is crucial for us to protect them, but this alone is not enough. We must also raise awareness around the importance of bee conservation for the world of today and tomorrow. This is why Guerlain is committed to teaching children about the cause of bees, thanks to its Bee School. Its programme Women for Bees, in partnership with UNESCO, also aims to train new women beekeepers at UNESCO's biosphere reserves.
30% Average annual mortality rate of domestic bees.
Over 75 % of cultivated crops and 90 % of wild flowering plants depend on pollinators, specifically bees.
POLLINATION: A PACT SIGNED BETWEEN BEES AND FLOWERS
Bees forage from flower to flower, trans- ferring pollen during each trip to fertilise the plant. Pollinated flowers yield most fruits, including apples, pears, almonds and blueberries. Good pollination leads to an abundance of better-quality, pro- perly formed fruit.
These pollinated plants also play a vital role in ensuring that ecosystems function properly, since they provide food, habi- tats and resources for countless other species.
GUERLAIN FOR BEES: MAKE A COMMITMENT WITH US
FOLLOWING A SUCCESSFUL FIRST EDITION IN 2021 RESULTING IN THREE NEW PARTNERSHIPS, NOW MORE THAN EVER BEFORE, GUERLAIN IS STEPPING UP ITS COMMITMENT TO THE BEE, THIS HOUSE SYMBOL AND INFINITE SOURCE OF INSPIRATION.
From World Bee Day on 20th May to the International Day for Biological Diversity on 22nd May, Guerlain is again calling for a commitment from its communities and the global population at large. All funds raised will be used to support the “Guerlain For Bees Conservation Programme”.
HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED? 20TH TO 22ND MAY 2022
BUY IN STORE OR AT GUERLAIN.COM: 20% of sales* will be donated to the Programme, including sales of the limited-edition Huile-en-Eau Abeille Royale, which has been dressed up for the occasion by Tomáš Libertíny.
REPOST FROM GUERLAIN'S INSTAGRAM: €20 donated for every repost of the visual created by Tomáš Libertíny including the hashtags #GuerlainForBees and #WorldBeeDay
GUERLAIN, HOUSE OF THE BEE AND TOMÁŠ LIBERTÍNY, “BEE WHISPERER”
THIS WORLD BEE DAY, THE HOUSE OF GUERLAIN HAS TEAMED UP WITH ARTIST TOMÁŠ LIBERTÍNY, WHO HAS BEEN INCORPORATING BEES INTO HIS ARTWORKS FOR OVER FIFTEEN YEARS.
In particular through sculptures co-constructed by honeybees. This encounter is in perfect harmony with the House’s history of merging environmental protection with artistic pursuits. In this spirit, Tomáš has adorned the Guerlain bee heart logo and Huile-en-Eau Abeille Royale with a sprinkling of flowers.
In collaboration with the artist, the House is also proposing a never-before-seen creation: the emblematic Bee Bottle is taken into a poetic and timeless universe. A work of art entirely made by bees.
“GUERLAIN FOR BEES CONSERVATION PROGRAMME”: A NETWORK OF COMMITTED ALLIES
EVER SINCE FIRST GRACING THE ICONIC BEE BOTTLE CREATED IN 1853, THE BEE HAS REMAINED A CONSTANT SOURCE OF CREATIVE INSPIRATION FOR GUERLAIN.
Bearing witness to our times, bees are currently under threat. As such, Guerlain has striven to protect these precious pollinators for over ten years through its “Guerlain for Bees Conservation Programme”:
• Sustainability sponsorship with the Brittany Black Bee Conservatory Asso- ciation based on the island of Ouessant.
• Partnership with the French Obser- vatory of Apidology (OFA) devoted to developing European beehive stocks and promoting the beekeeping profession.
• Alongside the OFA, creation of the Bee School, an awareness-building programme to teach young children about bee protection.
• Launch of Women for Bees in partner- ship with UNESCO, which aims to train women beekeepers and create new beekeeping operations across the globe.
• Sponsorship with the GoodPlanet Foundation, an NGO created by Yann Arthus-Bertrand, for raising young people’s awareness of bee conservation issues.
• Support for the ELYX Foundation, an association that works to promote UN sustainable development goals, co-created by artist Yacine Aït Kaci, He also created BEEZ, the Bee School emblem.
• Three-year sponsorship with the French Committee of the International Union for Conservation of Nature.
• Three-year sponsorship with the French National Museum of Natural History.
• Partnership with the Shan Shui Conser- vation Center NGO, in collaboration with the Chinese National Department of Education.